Welcome to my blog!

I am an interior design student at Savannah College of Art and Design. This blog will follow the trials and tribulations of my Form, Space, and Order class . Using design vocabulary I will trace the elements, principles, systems, and orders of design while creating visual examples.

Monday, January 23, 2012

My Design Philosophy

This first assignment called for me to examine the definition of design according to me and how my own personality influences that definition.
Comfortable, Classical, Personable, Functional, and Recyclable.  

Home is where my heart lies…it is my escape.  I love spending time at home with my husband.  It is my family that defines me and that is who I would like to design for:  the family.  All though the definition of the traditional family has changed, it is the people closest to us that influence our needs.  I want to create designs that are flexible enough to last through the stages of family life.  Incorporating storage and a personal focus to create functional designs that will grow as your family grows.  After all, your home is the stage of your life, the world around which your world revolves.

I was raised on old movies (my mother’s favorites) and the oldies station.  I appreciate the classics and that translates into my designs.  Traditional pieces are my building blocks with simple, clean lines that can be mixed and matched with different colors, textures, and patterns to create new, innovative designs.  However, design doesn’t have to be expensive.  It can be comfortable, beautiful, and sustainable.  If it is old or broken don’t toss it.  Reuse it, repair it, and don’t waste it.  

These words and images are the backbone of my life and design philosophy.  For me a door symbolizes opportunity.  You can stand outside that door forever but all it takes to proceed is the turning of a handle.  What lies on the other side are the endless options to be seen.  I consider classic design to be the past that I will always bring with me, however what waits on the other side of the door has yet to be seen.

1 comment:

  1. I think the images and the design of your blog are very soothing and calm and reflect your design philosophy very well. Loved the way you wrote your philosophy...

    ReplyDelete